Driving Safety Tips: Tractor Trailers
Any motor vehicle accident, big or small, can bring an unwelcome disruption to life. An automobile accident caused by a tractor-trailer, however, can be very serious and oftentimes you will need to hire a trucking accident attorney to help you gain compensation.
Large Number Of Trucking Accidents
The U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration recently did a study which showed that approximately 141,000 large truck crashes occur each year in the United States. Of these 141,000 accidents, at least 77,000 were found the be the fault of the truck driver.
Safety Tips To Avoid Tractor-Trailer Accidents
While some accidents are beyond our control, there are some safety tips and reminders to keep in mind when driving around large trucks. The National Traffic Safety Institute put this list of safety tips together:
- Avoid being in a semi-truck’s blind spot
- Large trucks need additional room when making turns
- Maintain a minimum of four seconds in following distance
- Slow down slightly when a tractor-trailer is trying to pass you
- Don’t stay between two large trucks on the highway
- Don’t drive closely behind a truck for the draft
- Be careful when passing a truck with a trailer as it can swing into your lane
- Allow for extra time when passing a semi-truck
- Double-check your mirror after passing a large truck to make sure you’ve cleared the front
Even with safe driving, sometimes accidents are unavoidable. If you or someone you know has been injured in a trucking accident, contact our Gainesville GA trucking accident lawyers at Coleman & Chambers. Our attorneys are experienced in cases involving trucking companies and will work to get the compensation you deserve.